Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Retraction on the Desk Part

There's a phenomenon sweeping the 1939 Wurlitzer piano nation. It's called "What Once Seemed Broken Now Is Fixed". For reals. And this is leading to the first proven theory of projecting: no project ends how it began, or in other words: scope change.

Here's what happened:

We thought a lot about this new and upcoming piano desk. I wrote a little story about it and I published it on this blog. And then I started taking the piano apart to prepare it for its new life as a desk. But here's the thing...when E came home from school he said, "Oh look! The piano's not broken any more." And me in my making-dinner stupor said, "Yeah, whatever."

But then, really, E was right. I investigated the piano, and what do you know?! The keys that used to not play, played and the hammers that were once a little wanky were all straight!

Do you need proof?

This picture I took at 4:04 PM on February 26, 2013.



Your focus should be primarily on the hammers that are not aligned. THIS IS NOT NORMAL and it leads to a not normal piano playing experience.

This picture I took at 2:13 PM on February 27, 2013.



Your focus should now be on the beautiful alignment of the hammers (aside from the G below middle C hammer, which is in fact the low low low C hammer that was called in as a replacement...and what is one its butt? A clothes pin. That's how we role here in 2ndhand land.)

The difference? I unscrewed the bridge that sits behind the keys. Woops!

The piano will no longer be a desk. It will remain a piano. But it is still in for a good make over and a great project. Stick around and see what we have for you.



3 comments:

  1. I'm so impressed you resurrected your once-dead piano! I'm excited for its make-over too. keep the blog posted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! I can't believe it works! Now I have guilt for even suggesting the dumpster. Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you are all so excited! It's going to be a treat!

    ReplyDelete